Friday, January 28, 2011

Do-Over

matt and i had our second wedding anniversary back in october and since then, i've contemplated a few things that i would've done differently concerning our wedding.

it's not a long list by any means. it was a virtually perfect day. but i thought i'd share anyway in hopes that my experiences might actually be helpful to someone.

1) i would not have worn a tiara. i'm not a tiara girl. i'm not sure what i was thinking. if i could do it over, a feathery fascinator would've been my headwear of choice.

2) i bought a perfume specifically for our wedding day because i think the little snapshot the photographer gets of the perfume bottle in the dressing room is neat. that's why i bought philosophy's "falling in love." and i left it in my ditty bag and didn't even wear it. i just smelled like...me.

3) i would've adamantly refused to walk down the aisle before my musical cue. the bridal party and myself all walked to the same song (sigur ros' "hoppipolla") and there was a handy lull in the middle of the song that was supposed to separate the bridal party and me. the wedding coordinator forced me down the aisle during the lull so i basically walked down to silence and got to the alter right as the crescendo signaling my entrance began. it has HAUNTED me. because i tend to be a little more than obsessed with music.

4) i would have either: worn brightly colored shoes OR dyed my crinoline. i tend to evaporate when i'm only wearing ivories and whites.

5) i wish we'd done a "first look" before the ceremony. it would've been nice to get wedding party pics out of the way pre-ceremony and gotten to the reception when the guests did. ahhh southern tradition.

i decided to negate these do-overs with some things that i'm SO glad i did:

1) super short ceremony. it was done in 20 minutes so neither of us had time to lock our knees and pass out.

2) NO garter toss. NO bouquet toss. and not just because everyone there was married.

3) wore my chucks during the reception. they helped the rhythm move me.

4) ella was the perfect flower girl and i am still so proud of that little turd.

5) hid matt's car so it couldn't be defamed while we partied. i was terrified of people stuffing lizards and crickets in our getaway car.

i'll end with a random tip:

i always clean my stovetop while i'm cooking something in the oven. the heat from the oven makes it super easy to clean grime off the stove.

i'm so domestic.

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this!? The CC wedding planner messed up Heyhey's intro too, and it bothered her forever! She spent months picking out the perfect song and then got shoved down the aisle before she wanted to.

    I would change a few things about my wedding, too...but I don't think I can say them aloud...might get my tires slashed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok the CC wedding planner is evil apparently. That is the one thing that bothers me about my wedding to this day. You dream and dream about the perfect moment in a song to have the doors thrown open and start your walk down the aisle. I remember her saying "OK..GO." And me saying "NO not yet!" but once the doors open you can't just stand there and hesitate cause you don't want everyone to think you're about to run for it. All this to say....Jonathan had to keep me from having a "discussion" with her when we got back from our honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete