Sunday, August 7, 2011

a (blog) break from DIY

i've still been DIY-ing my little rump off, but i decided a spontaneous non-DIY post was in order. because this is important.

2011 is over half-way done. we're on the downhill slope to fall and pumpkins and soup and cardigans and spiced cider. and while 2010 proved to be a great year in terms of music, this year has been, shall we say, underwhelming.

but two little jewels have occupied all my ipod time this year.



first off is lykke li (pronounced like "licky lee"). she has phoebe's "sexy phlegm" going on and while her newest album wounded rhymes initially started my infatuation, her older album, youth novel, is equally enchanting. she does sing a song about prostitution called "get some," so i wouldn't necessarily recommend her for your 8 year old iCarly-tee-shirt-wearing prepubescent.

Then there's Cults. yes, they have a penchant for long hair. and yes their name is "Cults." but look at that doll-faced little piece up there. with a sugary sweet voice to match AND her name is madeleine ("lighter than air") which is only one of the most preciousiestestest names ever. their songs will forever remind me of summer. and not just because it's summer. and i'm listening to them. they are in the lead for my prestigious "band of the year" for 2011. i've never done a band of the year, but it's still prestigious.

i would say pandora these fools, but i'm way past pandora and have been building my life around spotify. get.your.spotify.on. listen to pretty much any song for free. FO FREE. that's my favorite price.

p.s. i quit biting my fingernails about a month ago and it's hard learning to retype with these raptor talons!

2 comments:

  1. Prestigious, indeed...can't wait to give em a listen.

    My vitamins give me Freddy kreuger nails too..I wake up every morning with claw marks on my arms where I scratch myself in my sleep apparently.

    My sticky shoes...my sticky, sticky shoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is spotify like grooveshark?

    I actually listened to Lykke Li on Facebook cause you and another friend apparently "liked" her on the same day, and since both of y'all have pretty dang good taste in music, I decided to give it a shot. I am pleased. Y'all did not disappoint in your music selections. ;)

    ReplyDelete