Tuesday, April 6, 2010

what's in a name?

matt and i enjoy a ridiculous name. we've come across many. playville, pe'andre, micole...just to name a few.

we discuss our future kids' names fairly often. and matt vetoes all of my suggestions. so far i think we've agreed on nora or katherine for a girl and jack or max for a boy. jack is growing on me, i guess.

i have no intention of stepping on toes with my name preferences. i'm just voicing a point a view. that's my disclaimer.

we are not fans of spelling a somewhat normal name a ridiculous way, just to be different. heathyr, jaxxon, aaiyden, tailyr, etc...

we also are not fans of pretentious names...where do i start: ryker, karsten, roxton, eastin, seamus (!?!?), seraphina, phinneaus, allesandra, etc.

lastly, we are not fans of naming your kid after a place, object or action: river, ryder, georgia, asia, derby, talon, trooper, olive, pace, holiday, gage, forrest, and lexus.

the following is my list of names. 99% have been vetoed by matt. but i don't care.

girls

roslyn
camille
katherine
nora
ella
lily
anouk
stella
lila
cecily
celia
amelia
paige
bianca
esme
nadia

boys

conner
jack
aiden
isaac
caleb
jacob
ethan
eli
grant
collin
seth
clay
max

i guess having an odd and oddly spelled name has given me a preoccupation with what people are naming their kids these days.

p.s. so glad someone picked "eleanor rigby" to sing on AI tonight.

4 comments:

  1. "hi, my name is rain...i have my own kiln and wear dresses made of wheat."

    your boy list looks a lot like mine, plus a logan and a cash, and minus a clay. because that would make my son a country singer. and camille, paige, and stella are on my girl list! you have good taste. you know what i veto? matt's vetoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 of the same girls' names on my list! Lila, because I desperately want to name my future daughter after my mom, and Esme (I heard that name in a book once and it's stuck with me ever since). I think picking out names is way more fun the actual thought of having children (scary).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyle picked Jack at one point, and i pointed out that I would mostly likely call him Jackie as a pet name without meaning to. He decided he didn't like Jack so much after that..

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw Stella on the list, I immediately thought of A Streetcar Named Desire and how you lived in nola and how very appropriate that was! :)

    ReplyDelete